Sunday, May 25, 2008

Feeding the twins

Lately, I have been utterly convinced I am having two babies, because I have been so hungry and my gut popped out weeks ago and I'm only twelve weeks. So I have been eating away, feeding the twins, so as to gain 20 pounds before my first appointment, and then on the ultra sound, I see, clear as day, only one little baby, about the size of a maccaroni, and otherwise, a whole lot of me. Strange to say, I am in mourning. Two for one seemed like an incredible bargain to me, six being an even number of kids, and perhaps even a feeling of "doneness" where procreation is concerned. I don't know where this leaves me, except scuffling through days feeling a very strong attraction to my bed (likely first trimester induced). Luckily, Emily made it clear that in spite of the fact that she just returned home from vacation and is planning a party for James's first Communion, and that she's going camping next weekend, what she really wanted is for one of my kids to tag along with Nana and Pop to Virginia this weekend. So with Jane partying at the Cooks, we have a guys weekend here in Shelbyville, the stipulation being that the boys must spend every waking hour of the Memorial Day weekend outside. We all slept in the tent last night. We've had picnics, we planted the garden and it's possible that the boys have even made use of the great outdoors to do their pottying. Actually, its more than possible, because when Andy and I woke up from our nap, we went outside to find everyone, and there was Nick, behind the shed, looking very much like this:






Tonight we are going to see Indiana Jones at the drive in, and then Joe and the boys will once again sleep under the stars. I, however, have made a conscientious decision to sleep inside.

FYI, Tuesday is Joe and mine's 8th anniversary. Raise your hand if you want to babysit.

6 comments:

Emily said...

Did he wipe?

Emily said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
John said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
John said...

Well done, sister.

Though, Emily raises an important point. We must teach our children that with freedom comes responsibility.

Betty Duffy said...

In answer to your question, it was indeed because he wanted to test the veracity of the claim that one could use leaves for wiping that he tried his backyard experiment. At least that's what he said. His experiment, however was not as easy as it looks in Buck Wilder's outdoor adventures. Leaves can be fagile, and it's also not easy to determine which leaves are not poison ivy. In all, his experiment merited a bath and an extra load of laundry. I still found this chore easier to manage than Lucy's experiment on our entry way floor.

MrsCritter34 said...

Elizabeth, I've not been checking this blog very often and have a lot of catching up to do. I read about your "loss" when you realized you weren't having twins and I can totally relate to that. We (including my OBGYN) were convinced I was having twins when I was pregnant with Jake. At first, it was a shock. And after that, I started to feel attached to the "two" beings growing inside of me. And then the ultrasound moment arrived and I was in mourning as well. I actually cried at the ultrasound...not because I was sad that it was only one child, but because I'd also been nurturing another soul inside me and the absence of that "macaroni" left a void that I never imagined. It was strange. Mourning a child that never was, but I did. But even in my sadness I was grateful for the one thriving inside me...Jakey. And while my pregnancy with him was tumultuous at best (after numerous stays in the hospital and lots of medication to stop my pre-term labor, I ended up on bedrest the last 2 months of my pregnancy), the day he arrived was such a blessing. So, my thoughts are with you and I so completely understand your sadness at "what might have been." I wanted you to know that it wasn't unusual that you felt that way and it is just one more example of the love one can offer to an unborn child...whether they grow into a fully developed baby or their memory remains close to our hearts.