Monday, June 30, 2008

DICK CRUM????!!!!!!!

Mom, you did not tell me you were going to see Dick Crum! You just said it was some gardener. Joe and I are long time listeners of Dick's--he deserves a national audience.

I'm trying to work out the perfect chemistry with my kids, on who can be in the same class for swimming lessons. Nick wants to show the teacher his smooth new strokes all the time, inviting praise and admiration of all the other beginning swimmmers. As a consequence, Daniel feels a need to also say, "LOOK AT ME!" and then he proceeds to fling one arm over his shoulder, hold his nose, turn around and probably fall down under water. It's less than amazing. So I took Nick out and inserted Jane in the class--who is really more of a beginner. This made Nick MAD. He and Andy were sitting on the side of the pool during lessons, slooooowly inching closer and closer to putting their feet, and then their knees into the water. Not to mention that Nick is yelling pointers to Daniel from the sidelines, interrupting teacher, who really wishes we'd all just throw in the towel, and take our annoying tribe of children home.

In other news, Dad and I are going into the bee business. We had a swarm of wild honey bees here in our tree, and a friend of mine who does swarm removal helped us put them into a temporary hive until our new one arrives. I was a little worried that our bees might die instantly, or leave the temporary hive, which filled my nights with anxious bee dreams, but they are still there, almost three weeks later. One of these days, we're going to eat honey.

Here's my friend Anna with Nick:


Joe recently finished my new bookcases, hence I am now in a constant swoon, lying on my couch, admiring, not only the fine craftsmanship, and the gravitas that barrister bookcases automatically add to a room, but my collection of books does me proud. If only I read them...

2 comments:

MrsCritter34 said...

OK, I have to admit, I too am a huge fan of Dick Crum. He's awesome and one thing I really miss since I moved to KY. I used to joke that I had turned into my grandparents b/c I always listened to WIBC. Then I moved, WIBC went crazy and became FM (I'm still not OK with that!) and Jeff Pigeon and Big John Gillis retired. I guess there wasn't much left for me in Indy anyway. Just gloom and doom with all the changes.

As for beekeeping. Have you run this new venture past your mother, Elizabeth? I believe I heard some story about your father and anaphylactic shock in relation to the LAST beekeeping venture he partook in. I'm just sayin'.....

Oh, one more question...are racing pigeons next?!

Emily said...

I see that the iron dog has found a place of prominence. . .