Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Red Olympic Fever

We, too, have been enjoying the Red Olympics. Admittedly, we’ve watched a bit almost every day.

I find that the Olympics are best when viewed on your in-law’s DVR recorder. That is, of course, assuming you are fortunate enough to have in-laws who appreciate useful technology, who live a couple of miles away, and who don’t seem to mind you and your family invading their home and commandeering their couch space nightly.

I have to say, and Kate is probably tired of me saying this, but I wish NBC would show some wrestling. It’s certainly more exciting than diving, and what event is more traditionally Olympic? But that’s the way it goes. Every Olympics all they show are the same three or four sports and then hours of puff pieces on those same three or four sports. I shouldn’t get my hopes up.

As for beach volleyball, THIS was the editorial cartoon in the Dallas Morning News yesterday.

Though the amount of coverage it gets is obnoxious (have there even been any medal matches yet?), I can’t go so far as to say beach volleyball is not a sport. I refuse to believe that “Phat City” was just an occasion for my sibs to show off their hot bods. If that were so, why would I, arguably the [ph?]attest bod of them all, hardly be allowed to play?

No comments: