Monday, March 2, 2009

Snow


Kate, sorry I can't help you with the fox painting - but if cute is what you're after, you'll be surprised by the realism of my art. I think that piece is missing from the portfolio I have with me, so John must have put it with all his other valuables.

Today the kids were thrilled to wake to SNOW. The week before the Inauguration we kept hearing all this news about a snow storm, and in fact schools were cancelled Jan 20 on the threat of snow (or because everyone wanted to watch the inauguration?) that never arrived. This time we heard nothing and so were pleasantly surprised at the dusting, which has stuck around. We have about 6 snowballs in our freezer, and so consequently very little is left in the front yard. Ben was disappointed to find that school was only delayed 2 hours. So far he's not loving his public school experience.
Last weekend our party seemed to go well - didn't need conversation starters. In fact the conversation was loud enough I didn't notice, and hope that no one else noticed, that the computer played the same song over and over all night. Fortunately, it was a generic "Mardi Gras Party!" song that no one could identify. Wish we could have had some of those cayenne cheese biscuits - they sound delish - especially since my stromboli was dry and my bacon cheese cups overcooked. Fortunately, the spinach sausage balls and the stuffed mushrooms tasted okay, the desserts were good, and we went through 2 pitchers of plantation punch, so everyone seemed in high spirits. The next day we had the Cub Scout Blue and Gold banquet, which I had to help with, so we had another busy day. We were so tired that night that we couldn't peel ourselves off the couch away from the Oscars, even though we soon realized that Slumdog Millionaire was going to win everything. Has anyone seen this movie?

This week was much quieter. Dan was in Greece, and I did a lot of reading in bed. I have been rereading Pride and Prejudice for my Brit Lit class and loving every witty line. Why can I come up with such clever comebacks? I used to think that I didn't have time to reread books because there are so many good books out there, but this is like a visit to an old friend's house. Anyone have time for a trip to England this summer?

We watched "Lars and the Real Girl" this weekend and loved it. How can the funeral of a mannekin make you cry? I was expecting something else - a little more bawdy humor - and so was pleasantly surprised.

3 comments:

BettyDuffy said...

I want to go to England!!!!!

Kate said...

I'd rather go to Italy - can we do that instead?

My sister loved Lars. I never watched it because it sounded too weird. Maybe I'll try it now that it has gotten two recommendations.

Brian and/or Mikko said...

Lars totally rocked. It is gets high marks in the Cook/Rody households. But really, is this surprising?