Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Got wit?

Why am I lacking the gene that gives you wit-on-the-fly? Mine only shows up in the bathroom, days later. Or worse, four or five seconds past the time that a quip is allowable, forcing me to bite my tongue to avoid shouting a no longer welcome comeback at the departing person.

Yesterday I was leaving the grocery store with a bag of bread and creamer, and two jugs of milk. I had switched it all to one side so I could unlock the car, and a man passing me said, "That's impressive! Two gallons of milk in one hand, wow!" to which I very wittily replied, "hahaha, yeah, thanks!" I turned and plopped the milk down in the trunk, and the sound coincided with the mental forehead-slap I gave myself when I realized what I should have said: "Yeah, it does a body good!" I hope that man is a Husted blog fan so he can read this and see how clever I am... when given a few seconds to come up with something, that is.

4 comments:

BettyDuffy said...

I do that too, and sometimes I do it when I'm commenting on blog posts, and then I think later of all the funnier things I could have said, but if you delete your first comment, then it shows it was deleted and that makes the poster feel like someone thought better of posting a criticism, when really I was just thinking of a better way to represent myself. If only the brain were as fast as the tongue, or in this case, my fingers.

Deanna said...

Or worse than someone thinking a criticism was posted...being called out by Nana.

"OK...who deleted their comment?!"

It makes you fess up that you misspelled a word and being OCD had to correct it.

Kate said...

Are you calling me out on my post on your blog? Because that was b/c I had to go back and add that the Nylons are just embarrassing in themselves, not embarrassing like, "Oh, that music of the times," as were the things you posted. The Nylons were, are now, and forever will be embarrassing. But I still love 'em.

Emily J. said...

The classic late comeback comment was Dad's when he yelled at a passing biker who nearly knocked him down in our neighborhood many years ago. The biker yelled, "Watch out, a**hole!"
To which Dad yelled back, when the biker was by that time a few blocks away, "Where's your helmet!"