Sunday, November 2, 2008

Sugar Babies

This year's celebration of All Hallow's Eve has lasted an entire week, beginning with the CECOSC fall party last Sunday (Dan's chili won second prize), then the Cub Scout party on Monday night (James as the Sugar bag won for his den a gift card to Blockbuster), a little party at a friend's on Friday afternoon, trick or treating Friday night and ending today with the Harvest Party for our co-op (Joe won a prize for his Invisible Man get-up, and Dan again took 2nd for his chili). We have gotten full value for our costumes, on which we spent about $3 for James' Sandeman cup and Ben's rope. I threw away all Mary Janes, Sugar Babies, Dots, Now and Laters, Laffy Taffy, and most of the Tootsie Rolls. Sorry, neighbors, but I just spent over $200 on sealants, fillings, and a crown at the dentists' office last week. Each kid has authority over a generous 60 pieces of candy, and the rest I dumped into one of those canvas shopping bags, which is filled to the top, to be redistributed (Obama would approve) to Dan's office, co-op, CCD, and anyone else I can pawn it off on before I eat it all up myself. The dark chocolate Dove squares and Special Darks are in my vitamin stash since they prevent cancer and mothering meltdowns when consumed at 3pm.

At the soccer games Saturday, we relived the anti-Halloween argument, when one little girl told Annie and her fellow Catholic trick or treater, who were comparing the size of their haul, that "Jesus doesn't like Halloween." As I mentioned earlier, I considered the idea of opting out of Halloween; it's not hard to find articles written from a Puritan perspective pointing out its pagan origins and its current popularity with cults. However, considering the many pagan traditions our faith has baptized - Christmas trees, candles, sunrise Easter services - and since a lot of what Halloween is about comes from celebrations of All Saints and All Souls Day (begging for cakes, remembering the dead, scaring away evil spirits), and because I really enjoyed sitting out in the driveway sharing a bottle of blood red wine with a couple of neighbors while the dads followed the kids around, I have given up feeling guilty for the moment.
Some Photos:
Prizewinners:
Joe and friend James and friend:
I only carved one pumpkin this year. The rest are kid carved. Part of the trick or treating group (a couple other neighbors and the mermaid's little sister also joined in):
Claire as a princess instead of a Tart (but with lipstick):
Ralph Kramden and Jed Clampett ready for some fun:
An attempt to post video. The dangers of excess sugar consumption:

5 comments:

Kate said...

The first video just looked like normal James to me, but I could definitely sense the sugar presence in the second one. :)

The costumes look great! Sounds like a fun week.

Dan, congrats on your chili! Can we all try it at Christmas?

BettyDuffy said...

I especially like the part in the video when Annie throws her feet in the air and spanks her bottom.

Maybe Joe and Dan should have a chili cookoff at Christmas.

Emily J. said...

Watch your language Elizabeth! We might get a lurker coming by!

Kate said...

I have to admit I thought that part was pretty funny, too.

Rachel said...

Touche on the Obama redistribution comment. I also vote for a sampling of Dan's chili over the visit to Indy.