Thursday, November 6, 2008

Optimism

Well, the election is finally over, and life can move on. The TV can be turned off. Oh wait, the kids are watching it right now, so that I could look something up... but I got tempted into checking the blog. Since no one else has made any comments, I'll leave a quick post. It was inspiring to see the happiness in Grant Park on TV. The normal tone of doom and gloom has been missing from the editorials in the paper this morning and yesterday. There would have been a sense of not just disappointment, but disenfranchisement had the outcome been different. I thought there might be some gloating at my writing class last night, but the tone was very optimistic, as well as reflective on the changes in the last 40 years (from the older members of the class.) The graciousness of McCain's concession speech was recognized, as well as the poignancy of the speeches from Chicago. Even though it's cloudy and rainy here, there does seem to be a lightness in the air, maybe from the collective sigh of relief that people can let go of some of their bitterness about the last election. Hopefully, the optimism will spill over into the economy.

Now the kids and I had better get back to learning about history, so we can continue to recognize it when it's being made!

4 comments:

Kate said...

Emily, I totally agree! I'm still worried about what can happen in the next four years, but I think the improvement in the general climate of the nation is a blessing that we can work with and be thankful for.

It is neat to have watched history unfold like that, although McCain's speech (so gracious and humble!) made me cry and wish even more that he had won. But we've all witnessed a pretty amazing event, and I think hoping for the best - as well as working toward it - is the best posture for us all right now.

Brian and/or Mikko said...

Em,
Are you guys thinking of taking the kids to the inauguration? I'm thinking about going and even possibly taking Parker... although in a huge crowd of thousands with high risk security issues, perhaps not a good idea. I can't shake the feeling that this is something in history that would be amazing for her to say that she was there for.
Thoughts?

Rachel said...

It has certainly been a bitter-sweet historical experience. Good thing God knows what he's doing even when we don't get it.

Emily J. said...

Hey Mikko - having never been to or really paid attention to inaugurations, I'm not really sure what it would be like. My impression was you had to be invited to the parties, but probably for this inauguration there will be a lot of celebrating in the street and the mall, etc. So two thoughts: it could be really exciting, and if Dan were willing to go I would consider meeting you there. On the other hand, I've been disappointed at how little the kids remember from Great Lakes and before, so I'd be surprised if Parker remembered anything, although she could brag about the fact, as Annie does about going to Rome. I thought about going to see the Pope in April, but Dan was gone, we didn't have tix to the Mass, and his travel route wasn't publicized, so I wimped out. Some friends went and caught a glimpse, but their kids are teens, and so easier to control in a crowd, maybe. The DC metro is pretty easy to use. Let me know what you decide!