Monday, January 12, 2009

Another resolution

Even though Mom is the only one who thought sharing resolutions is a good idea, I thought I'd share another: getting up earlier. So here I am, up for an hour, and I've accomplished a lot: ate breakfast, read yesterday's paper, checked blogs, had a couple cups of coffee. No extra chores are done, no school planning, no spiritual reading (sorry Mom), no kids have eaten breakfast - in fact, they must be hiding, although I know John and Annie are watching Curious George. . . So I'm not sure if being an early riser is going to help or not.

The resolution we have had success on is cleaning closets. Saturday the boys' closet received a scouring. Filled a bag with trash and one with give aways (anyone need handmedowns?) And yesterday after Church, Dan said, "Let's just spend about an hour cleaning our closet." By 10 last night, it finally looked presentable. Elizabeth will be glad to know I got rid of some items that have been around for more than a few years. Annie and Claire's closet will have to wait for another weekend. We're working on getting our house presentable to sell. For debate: Should we replace the carpet or use it as a negotiating point? Knowing how many kids and pets have peed on it, I think replacing it is a given, but we are thinking we might use it as a bargaining chip, if we can find a chump, oops, I mean interested party to make an offer.

Watched Six Degrees of Separation this weekend. Not recommending it, although I have spent a lot of time thinking about it. Not exactly what was expected, but thought provoking. Also finished Omnivore's Dilemma - He makes a lot of convincing points, but why is it that so many food writers/writers with an agenda end up sounding condescending, except Wendell Berry? Actually the last chapter of Omnivore's Dilemma was my favorite, being more storytelling than facts and figures. Am I more open to WB because he writes novels and has a special spot on the family bookshelves? Why is Omnivore's Dilemma a best seller and What Are People For not?

No comments: