Tuesday, January 6, 2009

New Year's Resolutions

I found another photo to add and fixed hyperlink in the last post. Now you all can enjoy the classy lyrics and soaring melodies of Flight of the Conchords. Maybe y'all already know the show, but we've just be introduced by our Cook relations. Do lawyers wear argyle business socks?

I thought we should share our New Year's resolutions here so we can hold each other accountable. One of mine is to be a more conscientious shopper - to buy less, to take into account where my consumables come from, and to try to be a good steward of both our family finances and our planet. To that effect, I returned some extra purchases today to TJMaxx. The kids had some gift money and cards burning holes in their pockets, so they wanted to look at toys. While they were shopping plastic stuff made in China, I found something for me in the girls' section -- an American made bra in my size for only $3!! Now that I haven't nursed a baby in the last year, I'm going to do all my bra shopping in the girls' section.

Another resolution: keep my priorities in line and use my time more effectively. That's why I'm blogging BEFORE putting the kids to bed - it will keep my session short. James just asked what is PG-13. So I'll have to tell you my other 9 resolutions tomorrow. Any one have a good one?

2 comments:

laurie said...

Hi Family,
Emily, I like your idea to publish our resolutions. However, mine are the same old same old...lose weight, grow in necessary virtues, get organized,read more, exercise more, etc.In this month's Magnificat, there is a litany of conversion that I think pretty much sums up much of what needs and should be resolved in my life. It is really very good. Dad and I have been praying it together on occasion and we are of course quick to point out to each other just which of the points of conversion the OTHER person needs to work on!! Apart from the spiritual however, the use of resources is a priority here, AKA, living on a fixed income. This however, excites me....it is as though we were back to the beginning...how to stretch a 10 dollar budget for food each week. Yes, that is where we began!! I went to Costco yesterday (Mimi got me a membership) and I am not convinced that shopping the Mega grocery store is any real savings. Good thing Dad likes Sardines and oatmeal. The savings on those food items help with the purchase of dried fruit mixes, Kashi bars, etc.. Sort of schizophrenic.
The other effort that I am truly trying to work on is reducing clutter. Yes, I know that shows up on my list of resolutions year after year as well. However, I do not give up hope easily.
So, how about the rest of you???

Emily J. said...

Mom, the problem with Cosco and Sam's is that I think sometimes you eat more because you've got more: It's okay to eat 3 lbs of pasta for dinner because I've got 10 lbs! Of course, at this stage in our family size, we need 10lbs of pasta for dinner . . .